The conference organizing committee is continuing the tradition of recognizing excellence in accelerated bridge construction by seeking nominations for the most influential person and best ABC projects as outlined below. The awards program provides an opportunity to showcase innovative projects and to recognize talented individuals that advance ABC. The need to minimize construction impacts and on-site activities elevates ABC to higher priority starting at the project planning stage. ABC also can be introduced during construction as a contractor initiative or proposal. Benefits of ABC include improvements in safety, and reduction of social costs, and environmental impacts.
ABC is a paradigm shift that occurs during the project planning phase where the need to minimize on-site construction activities are elevated to a higher priority. Intrinsic benefits of ABC include improvements in safety, quality, durability, social costs, and environmental impacts. The conference awards program provides an opportunity to showcase innovative projects and to recognize talented individuals that advance ABC.
- Most Influential Person Contributing to the Development and Implementation of ABC technologies and projects.
- Best ABC Project in the following categories:
- Lateral Slide Technology
- Self-Propelled Modular Transporters
- Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems
- Most Influential Person (previous award recipients are not eligible)
- Has actively been promoting ABC
- Champions the ABC culture
- Demonstrates leadership in ABC
- Promotes technology amongst peers and stakeholders
- Best ABC Projects
- Eligible bridges must have been constructed or completed and opened to traffic between October 1, 2017 and September 30, 2019.
- A bridge is defined as a structure, including supports, erected over a depression or an obstruction, such as water, a highway, or a railway, having a track or passageway for carrying traffic or other moving loads, and having an opening measured along the center of the roadway of more than 20 feet between supports.
Judging Criteria for Best ABC Projects
An independent panel will judge entries on the following criteria:
|Innovation, uniqueness, and ingenuity||15|
|On-site construction time (time savings)||10|
|Minimization of construction impact on the travelling public (vehicles/cyclists/pedestrians)||15|
|Demonstrates leadership in ABC||15|
|Exhibits quality in materials and construction control||10|
|Efficiency in design for fabrication and construction||10|
|Exemplary public coordination/involvement||5|
|Enhanced safety to the contractor and the public||10|
|Improvement over conventional practice||10|
Quality of submitted presentations, though not a criterion, is important.
All submissions must meet the detailed requirements outlined below. All entries are due by 11:59 pm EDT, September 30, 2019. Submissions received after that date will not be accepted. Entries should be submitted online using the following links.
Download entry forms:
Submit the completed entry forms online at one of the following links:
If you are not able to submit your entry or need further clarification, contact Atorod Azizinamini at (305) 348-3821 or via email at email@example.com. The winners will be officially announced at the 2019 National Accelerated Bridge Construction Conference in Miami in December 2019.
Entries must be submitted as a single file in PDF format or Word (.doc), using the official entry form. Name the file as follows: State_ABC Category_Project Name
Example: UT_SPMT_Sam White over I-15 Bridge Move.pdf or UT_SPMT_Sam White over I-15 Bridge Move.doc
The official entry form must not exceed ten pages in length when complete.
Narrative page type size may be no smaller than 11-point font size and Arial font. All text and graphical displays are not limited to 11 point font but must be legible.
Entries will be ineligible for consideration if:
- Entry is received after deadline
- Type font size for narrative smaller than Arial 11
- Entry is not submitted on the official entry form
Project name and entry category must appear at the top of the page in the header.
Entrants may use text, photos, graphics, or charts as needed.
Do not modify the official entry form template.
National and International Media Partners