October 11, 2011 1:00 pm
by Benjamin A. Graybeal, Ph.D., P.E., Structural Concrete Research Program Manager, Federal Highway Administration, Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center
- Field-Cast UHPC Connections in Full-Depth Precast Bridge Decks - pdf of presentation
- UHPC TechNote, Ultra-High Performance Concrete (FHWA-HRT-11-038)
- UHPC Techbrief, Field-Cast UHPC Connections for Modular Bridge Deck Elements (FHWA-HRT-11-022)
- NYSDOT 557.2101 16, Field Cast Joints Between Precast Concrete Units
- News - October 11, 2011 - pdf of presentation
Description: The need for robust, constructible connections has hindered the application of full-depth precast decks in spite of their many potential benefits. The use of ultra-high performance concrete (UHPC) simplifies these connection details while simultaneously producing a durable, robust system that eliminates the need for post-tensioning. UHPC is a fiber-reinforced cementitious composite material with mechanical and durability properties that far exceed those traditionally associated with structural concrete. To date, UHPC has been implemented in six bridge reconstruction projects in three States, and more are on the way. This session provides an in-depth discussion of the practical application of field-cast UHPC connections for full-depth precast decks and includes a discussion on successful deployments and promising concepts now under testing and evaluation.