3rd-Cycle Projects (2016-grant)
Investigation of The Efficacy Of Helical Pile Foundation Implementation In Accelerated Bridge Construction Projects – Phase I [ABC-UTC-2016-C3-ISU01]: The primary objective of this project is to investigate the use of helical piles to accelerate the construction of bridge structure foundations. Helical pile installers tout the simplicity and speed of installation along with the ability to work within areas of limited size with smaller, more maneuverable equipment.
Multi-Span Lateral Slide Laboratory Investigation: Phase I [ABC-UTC-2016-C3-ISU02]: This project will initiate laboratory testing efforts for multi span lateral slides for ABC projects. The addition of more spans creates a more complex system that will require connections (and other details) that were previously not needed for a single span slide. Further, the fact that the multi-span bridge will need to slide on abutments plus piers (as opposed to just abutments in a single span case) creates possible uplift and overturning scenarios.
2nd-Cycle Projects (2016-grant)
- Non-Proprietary Ultra-High Performance Concrete Mix Design For ABC Applications Development of Non-Proprietary UHPC Mix [ABC-UTC-2016-C2-ISU01]: This project develops and characterizes economic, non-proprietary UHPC mixes made with materials locally available. This will be achieved through a holistic set of laboratory experiments that will be primarily focused on the choice of fibers, which are known as the costliest ingredient of UHPC mixes.
- Performance of Existing ABC Projects – Inspection Case Studies [ABC-UTC-2016-C2-ISU02]: As the initial deployments of ABC methods age, it becomes necessary to inspect the structures for both maintenance decision making and for assurance of adequate service life performance. Current inspection methods used for traditional bridge structures can be modified to establish inspection protocols for ABC projects. Once inspection protocols have been developed, existing ABC projects can be inspected. After which, any apparent performance trends can be documented and best practices identified.
- Synthesis of Available Contracting Methods [ABC-UTC-2016-C2-ISU03]: Accelerated bridge construction (ABC) is the solution of choice to upgrade substandard bridges, while maintaining traffic flow and optimizing safety through work zones. However, the perception of higher construction costs for ABC versus conventional construction continues in spite of numerous ABC projects having lower construction costs relative to conventional construction. This inaccurate perception and the fear of cost overruns are causing some bridge owners to be hesitant about using ABC technologies, especially those technologies related to bridge system moves which can provide the greatest benefit for safety and traffic flow impacts. While the traditional contracting method for state DOTs is primarily unit price contracting, there are alternatives, including cost plus, lump sum, lump sum with guaranteed maximum price, and progressive lump sum with a guaranteed maximum price. To date there has been little investigation into the use of these alternatives on ABC projects, this project will explore the use of these options to understand the state of practice and provide insights and lessons learned for DOTs.
- Design of Link Slabs: A Short Course Module [ABC-UTC-2016-C2-ISU04]: This project builds on the findings from a former ABC UTC-sponsored research project on link slabs and develops a short course module to provide the design guidelines and practical recommendations necessary to properly implement a link slab in jointless bridges.
1st-Cycle Projects (2016-grant)
- Accelerated Repair and Replacement Of Expansion Joints [ABC-UTC-2016-C1-ISU03]: The objectives of this research are to conduct a literature review on replacement and elimination of bridge deck expansion joints; to develop methods for accelerated bridge expansion joint replacement and elimination; and to promote ABC for bridge deck expansion joint repair.
- Delivery Methods for Accelerated Bridge Construction Projects: Case Studies and Consensus Building [ABC-UTC-2016-C1-ISU01]: This research project will consist of a thorough exploration of current contracting methods for ABC projects via surveys, case studies, content analysis, interviews, documentation and observations.
- Bidding of Accelerated Bridge Construction Projects: Case Studies and Consensus Building [ABC-UTC-2016-C1-ISU02]: This research project will consist of a thorough exploration of current bidding methods for ABC projects via surveys, case studies, content analysis, interviews, documentation and observations.
3rd-Cycle Projects (2013-grant)
- Development of Guidelines to Establish Effective and Efficient Timelines and Incentives for ABC [ABC-UTC-2013-C3-ISU01]: The main objective of the proposed project is two folds: 1) Provide guidelines to evaluate the direct and indirect costs (traffic delays and opportunity losses) under following conditions: conventional construction, only ABC techniques, only incentivizing strategies, and combination of ABC and incentivizing strategies; and 2) Develop a decision-making framework to compare the total costs and durations of each of the candidate techniques to optimize for the lowest cost and construction duration techniques accordingly.
- Integral Abutment Details for ABC Projects, Phase II [ABC-UTC-2013-C3-ISU02]: The proposed research aims to develop ABC compatible integral abutment connections to marry the two technologies together and continue to advance the quality, performance, economics and constructability of bridges to meet the demands of today’s growing infrastructure.
- Inspection and QA/QC for ABC Projects [ABC-UTC-2013-C3-ISU03]: The objective of this research is to explore available nondestructive testing technology to determine applicability for the inspection and quality control of accelerated bridge construction components.
2nd-Cycle Projects (2013-grant)
- Investigation of Macro-Defect Free Concrete for ABC including Robotic Construction [ABC-UTC-2013-C2-ISU01]: The goal of this project will be to assess important characteristics and to develop conceptual uses for this new material with a specific focus on accelerated/robotic bridge construction.
- An Integrated Project to Enterprise-Level Decision Making Framework for Prioritization of Accelerated Bridge Construction [ABC-UTC-2013-C2-ISU02]: This project aims to develop a decision-making algorithm that brings together the project-level decision process that involves the choice of optimized construction techniques together with the enterprise-level process that implements regional prioritization schemes considering indirect costs (such as drivers’ delay, economic impact, opportunity losses, economic growth, and social investments) in addition to the direct costs associated with implementation of the ABC techniques.
- Material Design and Structural Configuration of Link Slabs for ABC Applications [ABC-UTC-2013-C2-ISU03]: The objective of this research is to develop details and recommendations to properly implement a link slab in joint-less bridges constructed with ABC techniques. This will be accomplished through a comprehensive set of experimental tests and numerical simulations.
1st-Cycle Projects (2013-grant)
- Strength, Durability, and Application of Grouted Couplers for Integral Abutments in ABC Projects [ABC-UTC-2013-C1-ISU01]: This research focused on the development of integral abutment details utilizing grouted couplers for use in ABC projects and conduct laboratory testing on one or two of the most promising concepts.
- Synthesis of Rapid Bridge Rehabilitation [ABC-UTC-2013-C1-ISU02]: Information on techniques and technologies for rapid bridge rehabilitation will be gathered and organized in a synthesis report.
- Development of Prefabricated Bridge Railings [ABC-UTC-2013-C1-ISU03]: The purpose of this research is to begin the process of developing crash-tested prefabricated bridge railings that have durable anchorage details