- Material Design and Structural Configuration of Link Slabs for ABC Applications: The objective of this research is to develop details and recommendations to properly implement a link slab in joint-less bridges constructed with ABC techniques. This will be accomplished through a comprehensive set of experimental tests and numerical simulations.
- Investigation of Macro-Defect Free Concrete for ABC including Robotic Construction: The goal of this project will be to assess important characteristics and to develop conceptual uses for this new material with a specific focus on accelerated/robotic bridge construction.
- An Integrated Project to Enterprise-Level Decision Making Framework for Prioritization of Accelerated Bridge Construction: This project aims to develop a decision-making algorithm that brings together the project-level decision process that involves the choice of optimized construction techniques together with the enterprise-level process that implements regional prioritization schemes considering indirect costs (such as drivers’ delay, economic impact, opportunity losses, economic growth, and social investments) in addition to the direct costs associated with implementation of the ABC techniques.
- Rapid Bridge Demolition Plan Review Guidance: This research will develop rapid bridge demolition plan review guidance, based on a comprehensive literature review; surveys of DOTs, and demolition contractors and consultants; and a synthesis of the information obtained.
1st-Cycle Projects – Continuing
- Development of Prefabricated Bridge Railings: The purpose of this research is to begin the process of developing crash-tested prefabricated bridge railings that have durable anchorage details.
1st-Cycle Projects – Completed
- Strength, Durability, and Application of Grouted Couplers for Integral Abutments in ABC Projects: This research focused on the development of integral abutment details utilizing grouted couplers for use in ABC projects and conduct laboratory testing on one or two of the most promising concepts.
- Synthesis of Rapid Bridge Rehabilitation: Information on techniques and technologies for rapid bridge rehabilitation will be gathered and organized in a synthesis report.